[TowerTalk] Re: Finding the height of trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Finding the height of trees
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:54:24 +0008

Dan wrote...

> Hire a crane, back up to the tree and lower a rope to the ground, when
> the rope touches the ground mark the rope, drop it send the crane on its
> way and measure the length of rope to the mark.
> Hank
> 2nd choice hire a helicopter do the same. Must consider the downwash of
> the rotors though causing the top to waver back and forth.

This reminds me of the physics exam problem "Using a barometer,
determine the height of a tall building."

One good answer was "Using the barometer as a weight, lower it on
a tape measure from the roof down to the ground.  Read the height
directly."

My favorite was "Go to the building superintendant and say 'Sir, I
will give you this fine barometer if you will tell me the height of
your building.'"

Oh, there was going to be a tower on the building.  (T-word!)
Sorry... I need a contest.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT