[TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods
From: jimsmith@bigvalley.net (Jim Smith)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:19:58 -0800
    Hi Jim,
I've driven many rods in my former career as an electrician, and as an
electrical contractor. I have a big Bosch demolition hammer with a ground
rod attachment. Unfortunately, the ground has often been too hard in the
areas I've worked. A 90 pound jackhammer with a ground rod attachment works
much better, but is much more difficult to operate 10 feet up in the air,
and requires a big compressor.
    When these methods fail, nothing beats a sledge hammer. I usually had to
resort to one before completing the installation. Many people don't have to
go to these extremes, but they also don't have to drive rods through
granite.
    Jim Smith, KQ6UV