Fwd: Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Tower Concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Tower Concerns
From: Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net> (Bob Otto)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:35:26 -0500

One thing more to consider.  It seems to me that perhaps sometime
about 5-10 years ago the national requirements changed.  Most
municipalities adopted the new standards.  This caused tower
manufacturers either de-rate their towers, or redesigned them to be
stronger to meet the new requirements.  As an example, Heights Towers
chose to redesign its' towers to meet the new requirements. As a
result, towers that were manufactured some years ago and rated for X
wind load, would NOT be rated for the same windload by todays
standards. If someone wants more information on this, I believe this
was discussed here some months ago and someone posted the specific
national standard that changed.

If what I remember is true, and adding what's been written here on
this reflector, the following guidelines seem prudent:

A)  Using a catalog to evaluate a used tower may be problematic unless
you know for sure that the catalog data is both; a) from the exact
same manufacturer date, and b) the same model and manufacturer, as the
tower being erected.

B)  Using new catalog data to evaluate an older tower could be very
dangerous as the new catalog would quite possibly be describing a
currently manufactured, STRONGER tower.

C)  It is very risky to mix data regarding freestanding and guyed
towers to develop a site solution.  The towers are designed very
differently, and loads/ratings do not compute equally, or in other
words, are not interchangeable.

D)  Manufacturers rating data/loads are developed using specific
installation parameters. Changing those parameters could adversely
affect the specifications. Most tower manufacturers will only stand by
their calculations if the site is built according to the manufacturers
EXACT specification.

E)  While manufacturers have a safety factor, it is DANGEROUS to guess
at that value and/or develop a site plan that in any way negates or
utilizes the safety margin.

F)  Sites that use "house brackets" should be subject to special
scrutiny as little is published about how to calculate the
appropriate loads and dissipate the loads over a large enough space.

G)  Any site, on which the tower/antenna height is such that if it
failed and fell would mean that the tower/antenna would fall upon a
neighbors property, should be built to the highest, most conservative
standards to insure that property/personal injury does NOT occur to a
neighbors property.  Think of it this way, no building or other
structure would be allowed to be built in such a way as to jeopardize
anothers property or personal being.  A tower is a structure, and one
that if failed, can cause considerable damage or personal injury to
others!

It seems to me that we have a MORAL obligation to live up to the image
that we aren't cowboys -- that we ARE knowledgeable, technically
astute persons who put safety first, and therefore should do
everything in our power to "DO THE JOB RIGHT".  No compromises, no
integrity lapses, regardless of cost or difficulty.  If an individual
can't do that -- then he/she shouldn't put the tower up!

73 from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!

GDE> Actually, all the back and forth on this caused me to go back and look at
MY