[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:26:14 EST
In a message dated 1/16/01 11:44:13 AM Pacific Standard Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> There's no where in the country that isn't at least 70 mph.
>  50 mph capacities are meaningless.

    Absolutely. The lowest windspeed in the TIA ratings in the US is 70 MPH.
This is the same minimum used by many building departments.

>  The reason these companies don't
>  publish 70 mph figures is their antenna capacities would be
>  embarrassingly small.

    Many companies publish useable data but some rely on specmanship to
appear to meet or beat the competition. Like antenna gain figures, they're
pretty easy to spot.

>  >  My unguyed, house
>  >bracketed, 40 foot Rohn 25 has been up for the last 20+ years.  I don't
>  >have a permit,  (A bad idea, I agree) and it's made it through Andrew and
>  >a couple of lesser hurricanes.

    The oldest story in ham radio. Does it mean that the installation met the
basic criteria? Not at all. It just means that YOU'VE BEEN LUCKY. Not every
time you speed you get a speeding ticket either.

>  That's the one thing I realised after reading TowerTalk a couple of
>  years. If you want to put a tower up right, it's going to cost you, but
>  you'll end up with something that won't keep you awake on stormy nights.

    Amen.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech