[TowerTalk] RF Baluns (commercial or homemade?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Baluns (commercial or homemade?)
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:54:15 EST
In a message dated 1/20/01 4:20:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
petrich@u.washington.edu writes:

>    Aside from the personal satisfaction that you may experience from
>  building your own balun, you are more likely to do worse, making your own
>  balun, instead of purchasing one of these quality products.  The Force -12
>  baluns are manufactured by Cal-AV and I consider them the same.  I have
>  about #8 of these baluns in use on my antenna system and have experienced
no
>  difficulties.  The manufacturing specs, available from the Cal-AV website,
>  are impressive in terms of the common mode impedance, impedance bandwidth
>  and environmental protection.  They employ the latest ferrite bead balun
>  technology to develop the needed common mode impedance.

    Also they are filled with a material (sorry I don't know which one) in a
vacuum chamber so there aren't any voids in the balun and it's impervious to
water ingress. It's also a reasonable price. I recommend them to anyone
interested.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech