[TowerTalk] RF Baluns (commercial or homemade?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Baluns (commercial or homemade?)
From: petrich@u.washington.edu (John Petrich)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:20:19 -0800
Sylvan,

    Aside from the personal satisfaction that you may experience from
building your own balun, you are more likely to do worse, making your own
balun, instead of purchasing one of these quality products.  The Force -12
baluns are manufactured by Cal-AV and I consider them the same.  I have
about #8 of these baluns in use on my antenna system and have experienced no
difficulties.  The manufacturing specs, available from the Cal-AV website,
are impressive in terms of the common mode impedance, impedance bandwidth
and environmental protection.  They employ the latest ferrite bead balun
technology to develop the needed common mode impedance.

    You didn't specify the type of Force -12 antenna that you have installed
and whether you have a single feed or multiple feed system.  It is my view
that quality, high common mode impedance,  broad band baluns are necessary
at EACH feed point to minimize common mode currents on all the feedlines
under all circumstances to avoid pattern deterioration.  I think that you
will be very happy with either of the products that you were considering.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7HQJ