[TowerTalk] RF Baluns (commercial or homemade?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Baluns (commercial or homemade?)
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:26:15 -0500
There are other benefits besides pattern deterioration:

Without the balun, something like 1/3 of our power can head back down
the feedline shield as longitudinal current into our shack. This is
usually a great deal more than what is miscellaneously induced by
coupling from an antenna properly isolated from the feedline. This is a
common cause of RF in the shack and all the problems that causes.

Also without the balun, that feedline, which runs closer to our house,
and in miscellaneous directions can pick up all kinds of noise and feed
it to our antenna connection point (the balun is a TWO way block after
all) and thence coupled to the signal bearing system back to the
receiver. Especially if our feedline runs for any distance close to
power wiring.

In metropolitan areas, this last may be a huge advantage. How many times
have we just not been able to hear someone over all the man-made noise
on frequency?

After all that dough we just laid out for tower, rotator, antenna,
feedline, we're gonna skimp on a balun?  Either we buy or make the
top-line balun, and put the proper finishing touch on that neat antenna
project we're just completing.

Guy Olinger, K2AV
Apex, NC, USA