[TowerTalk] set the record straight

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] set the record straight
From: geo@datasync.com (George Bethea)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:28:48 -0600
I also have been a satisfied customer of First Call. I experienced delays
also, but with this sort of equipment, that is the norm. I had to wait
longer than estimated on a Hygain Tower I purchased 12 years ago. It was
worth it! I had to wait when I ordered a Wilson manufactured tubular crankup
(now US Towers) 25 years ago but again it was worth the wait. Rohn Tower has
always been the fastest supplied product in my experience.  I did have to
wait 3 months longer than promised when I purchased a Rohn Crankup 55FT back
in the late 60's though. I have purchased and stacked 5 of my own in the
past. Delivery was always prompt, but here again it is mass produced and
available from in stock inventories. Joel never lied to me, was up front
about delays. Final product delivered exceeded my expectations in quality
and design. I even had an incorrect rotor plate and manual delivered, and
Visalia FED-EXED a proper rotor plate and manual overnight. I have a
customer whom is a PE, and he looked it over for about an hour and said it
was a fine piece from design down to welds. N5WI, Cliff Green a retired Navy
Chief and a member of a family that owned a Galvanizing plant for 35 years
said, " That is as good a job of galvanizing as I could have done myself!"
If you know Cliff, this is saying something!!!! I am more than happy with my
DX-86 and it also was worth the wait! I understand delivery dates and
deposits. I can not speak for anyone, but my dealings with Joel lead me to
believe that he is a fair man and will privately work out something
satisfactorily with complaints. He should, it is his obligation to
customers. I also have done business many times with Steve K7LXC, Gerald
from Texas Towers, and Tom Schiller of Force 12. I have been more than
satisfied with them all and consider them friends and give them my business
loyalty because of their customer service. After being a dealer 26 years in
the Marine business on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, Johnson/Evinrude
Outboards (OMC) filed Chapter 11 Jan 5th, and left me, 1800 dealers, and
countless customers out in the cold screaming for warranty service. New
owners will be announced in early February and we all have to wait until
then. I understand upset customers and missed promises and delivery dates
very well!!!!! Sometimes it is just beyond a dealers control. The true test
comes in how the dealer handles the "crisis" and the proof of the pudding is
when they stay in business and continue to serve. These are the ones that
survive ultimately, and the ones to buy from. I sure hope that all that are
waiting are made happy and satisfied! I sympathize with the frustration and
anxiety, I have felt it. There is one common thread in talking with everyone
I know that has ordered a Tri-EX in the last year or so. Yes, delays, missed
promises, more delays and etc but in the end, "It was worth it!" is what 99%
have said. I would buy another Tower, Rig, or Antenna from any of the
aforementioned gentlemen again without hesitation. I will be calling Tom
this week about another yagi. Best 73 and I sure hope this ends in a happy
story for all! George k5jz@mdxa.org