[TowerTalk] 160/80 M Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160/80 M Antennas
From: n7us@arrl.net (Jim McDonald)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:38:45 -0700
Dick,

I used to have a GAP Voyager (the 45' high, guyed one with 3 57' wires lying
on the ground).  N0AX had a review a few years ago in the National Contest
Journal, I think.  My recollection is that he generally liked it.

I often compared it to my low (60' high) Force 12 40M yagi, the EF-340D.
The GAP, believe it or not, wasn't that much (never measured) down from the
yagi, which seemed to "work well."  (I know, whatever that means.)  It
seemed to be similar on 75M to an inverted vee at 50'.  Nothing scientific,
but I actually thought it was OK on those bands.

On 160 and 20, however, it was a couple of steps above my Cantenna - maybe.

It stayed up in high (~75 mph) winds despite being pretty flimsy, thanks to
the guys.  It takes care not to bend/break it when raising it.

I only used it on 75 (I think I used an extension on one tube to give me
80M), since I had the yagi on 40.  It's not the cheapest antenna, of course.
I wasn't able to install a decent set of radials, which is why I tried it.
I didn't keep it when I moved, as I got tired of the guys and since it
didn't work on 160.

Do you have room for an inverted vee fed with open wire? (No flames please
on that idea of any of this; I'm paranoid to express an opinion in this
forum of experts.)

Jim N7US