[TowerTalk] 160/80 M Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160/80 M Antennas
From: w0etc@ix.netcom.com (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:37:08 +0000
I used a Gap Voyager for several years as my only low band antenna on a
small city lot and then as a backup antenna at the present 3 acre QTH.
In spite of its poor 160 reputation in the mid 90s during CQ 160 SSB I
managed to work 49 states along with an EA8 with it.

In snow country make sure the snow does not drift up to the level of the
lowest tuning rod.  One Feb night the SWR went crazy and when I looked
out the window there was arcing at lowest tuning rod due to a snow
drift.  Also, ice build up, as in freezing rain, can form on the stand
off insulators and short out a tuning rod.  BTW, I was very pleased with
the Voyager on 40 &  80.

73 W0ETC