[TowerTalk] Re: Yagi's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Yagi's
From: aunwin@fgi.net (art unwin)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:25:45 -0600
At 06:21 PM 2/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Art,
>
>As for your antenna, on ten meters you have you have:
>
>> Yagi, < 1 WL boom,13 elements 3 of which are reflectors at 65 feet.
>
>My three element 40 meter yagi over the same percentage
>bandwidth with only three elements on a boom shorter than 1/2 wl:
>
>13.8 to 14.4 dBi gain.
>F/B better than 20 dB
>SWR under 1.35:1
>
>In contrast your antenna has more than twice the boom length and
>over four times the elements, yet only has 2 dB more gain and 5
>dB more F/B at bandwidth edges!
>
>If I consider front-to-null, since the null is placed at a useful angle,
>my common less-than-half-wave boom antenna has more than 45
>dB rear rejection across 3% bandwidth.
>
>I can't find a 1 wl boom Hygain antenna, but an optimized 24 foot
>105BA over earth has:
>
>16-16.2 dBi gain
>23-27 dB F/R
>VSWR<1.4
>
>It sure doesn't look like anything remarkable is going on.
>
>Your antenna works about like any 1 wl yagi should work, even one
>with 5 elements instead of 13 elements.
>
>I'm sure you will want to shoot me for saying this, but it looks like
>much ado about nothing to me.

No,No,No! Tom.
I respect your opinion. We all view our own baby with some
distorted affection and it is always the right thing to obtain second opinions
even if it hurts. As far as a to do about nothing it has been a tortured
path to bring you to this point but we got to finality in the end even tho
some issues have been passed over and I really do value your comments even
tho it pains me.

Thanks a bunch, nothing personal. Got a note from one person who states my
posts have been viewed as 'comical' to the group (that hurt)so I will
retire gracefully with apologies to all.

I see I have a long posting from a very notable and knoweledgeable
gentleman with respect to long boom antennas which is probably much of the
same.

Leave it until tomorrow otherwise I will get no sleep tonight

Regards

Art Unwin KB9MZ