[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3 spacers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3 spacers
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:13:46 -0400
All:

     The variation in SWR during QRO operation with certain autotune amps is
the main issue  with open sleeve-fed Yagis.  In an earlier posting I
mentioned (tongue in cheek) that Bencher developed a solution for their
Skyhawk tribander: spacers and non-conductive collars with set-screws to fix
said spacers in place on all three DEs.  "Bencher" (that's how the e-mail
was signed) confirmed that, indeed, the Alpha autotune amp (model not
identified) had a tendency to chace after the varying SWR.

     Also, Steve K3SA (SK) likewise confirmed to me that he had experienced
exactly these symptoms while running his Alpha at 1.5 kW.  He said he
reduced power to 1.2 kW and the Alpha was happy.

     Granted, I have no first-hand experience with this phenomenon, and I
pass on this info about Skyhawks FWIW.  However, I DO have a Skyhawk which
is awaiting its tower, and I DO have the spacers which will be installed -
QRO or not.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F