[TowerTalk] thoughts aboutproperty layout

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] thoughts aboutproperty layout
From: k1mk@arrl.net (Michael Keane, K1MK)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 00:13:08 -0400
At 19:03 05/28/01, Tom Rauch wrote:
>I asked that question, but no one seemed to know.
>
>Locally, there are no codes at all except you have to be 15 feet
>clear of primary lines.
>
>Personal opinions aside, what are the local codes?

That depends on the locality, of course.

As a general point of reference the BOCA Model Code (this is the basis for
the building codes in most states in New England, Mid-Atlantic & Mid-West
(roughly states from MO east to VA and North to Canadian border, with a few
exceptions) has a section (3108.0) that covers Radio Towers. There is a
paragraph in that section (I recall the citation is 3108.7 but don't have a
codebook in front of me to check) which explicitly states that guys may not
pass over electrical distribution lines. I suspect the section on Antennas
(3109.0) has a similar provision covering antennas.

Building codes really are local. States and localities have the option to
modify the model code to be more or less strict. Thus even in a BOCA state
like Connecticut (K1MK) or West Virginia (N4ZR) a given provision of the
model code may or may not be identical (or even present) in one's local
and/or State building code. Always check with your local code enforcement
official.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane, K1MK
k1mk@arrl.net

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----