[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:24:30 -0500
I've had the full size CW160 for several years now.  I love it.  Of course,
I don't think you can go very wrong with 265 ft of wire up 60+ ft or so!  HI

In flat-top configuration, it's HEAVY, putting a lot of stress on it if you
want to pull it half-way straight.  It has the 22 ft of RG-8x hanging down
to the line isolator, adding to the weight/sag.  Then, if you want to add
RG-8 or similar to the feedpoint at the line isolator, it can get VERY
HEAVY.  I ran some more RG-8X from the line isolator to a point where I can
get to it better, then RG-8 to the shack.

Mine is running NE-SW, giving me some gain toward EU on the higher
frrequencies.  I can't relate anything quantitative, except to say it
performs like gangbusters.  Part of the reason I got it was for the 160M
coverage, but I just haven't gotten into that band much yet.  However, I've
received great signal reports on 160M with it, beating everyone else in the
roundtable.  I also use it for some rare forays into SO2R contesting - yagi
on one radio and the windom on the other.

For me as a RTTY contester, the balun (Dedicated Matching Unit = DMU) is the
weak link for QRO.  RadioWorks now has some caveats about the power specs on
theirr pages.  I've gone through about 3 of them;  one might have taken a
lightning hit.  It's fine with somewhere between 500-1000W, but if you try
to run 1000+ in a RTTY contest, the balun will eventually fail. Since mine
runs over a large farm pond/lake, it's a drag taking the rowboat out to
replace the balun.  My first one stayed up a couple of years before yielding
to the WX - With some other system of pulley/weights, I'm sure it would stay
up longer.  I'm still using mine, it's great!  73