[TowerTalk] guy rod angle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] guy rod angle
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: 7 Sep 2001 10:18:50 -0700
In older Rohn catalogs, the design for R45 towers
utilized all the same sized guy cable (usually 1/4"
EHS except in windzone A.)  So the pretension would be
the same on all the guys.  Yet, though the geometry
shows something different, the rod angle was specified
at 45 degrees.  Equalizer plates were to be used then,
too, although their purpose may have been (and may
still be) more as a convenient multi-guy tie point
than an equalizer.

In the some of the "new" R45 designs (1/4" EHS for the
top, 3/16" the rest) and a 9ft unguyed part at the
top, the angle specified DOES change (though not by
much) depending on the specific tower design.  For
example, see:

http://www.rohnnet.com/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/45G/45G-9.pdf

73 Mike N2MG <--it's way too late for my guy rods!