[TowerTalk] Feedline Pipe or tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feedline Pipe or tubing
From: mfarrer@tality.com (Mel Farrer)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:49:41 -0700
I think we are talking about to different but relate issues.  Anything that
can be direct buried should be.  The PVC pipe is a more suitable solution if
cables aren't rated for direct burial or change of the installation is
anticipated (don't we all?).  I have done both.  The direct buried cable
have stood the test of time without failure, the PVC has made several
changes to antennas and control systems much easier when the plants, a
fence, trees grow up in the back yard.  The XYL preferred the cost of the
PVC to frequent tearing up of the backyard.

Some time honored experience I have learned, you don't tie the cables
together in a bundle with ANYTHING.  Tiewraps snag and tape bunches up and
adds an incredible amount of friction.  Make sure the pull line is big
enough and when pulling in cables, lay them out in a straight line before
pulling and have someone wipe off the cable completely as it goes in, no
dirt.  I have used the slippery stuff on the longer runs, but generally
found making the cable straight and assist by pushing the cable in one end
as you pull from the other is better.  Using a reel supported so it can turn
as you pull sounds good but puts undesirable tension on the cable, and the
cable will have a curved set already formed in.  This increases the friction
of the pull.

On the latest 650 foot run I put in, it was a 3" PVC and rather than "pull"
the cables in, I laid out the cables along side of the trench.  I cut a
1/16" bevel around the inside edge of the flared end of the PVC pipe.  This
helped the cables feed into the section.  I then started by slipping the
first 20 foot section of PVC over one end, flared end first.  I had a helper
cleaning the cables ahead of me.  I tied the flared end of the PVC with a
rope that allowed me to suspend it a few inches off the ground and I could
pull in along until I reached the other end.  Pulling the PVC so close to
the ground allowed the cable to easily slip though as I walked along.  I
repeated this until all sections were lined up.  We then glued the sections
together.  Be careful not to get any of the glue get on the inside.  It will
make any possible pulling out of the cable impossible. When finished gluing,
put one end of the cabled PVC in the trench and with the same rope make a
loose loop around the PVC and walk it into the trench.   The whole 650 foot
job took two people one very long day.  I hope this helps someone who has a
big job a little easier.

73's Mel, K6KBE