[TowerTalk] Fall Protection Suggestion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fall Protection Suggestion
From: n0tt1@juno.com (n0tt1@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:39:36 -0700
We all have our own way of doing things and levels of "comfort"....:)
To toss out my two cents worth here's what I do and feel comfortable
with:
I use TWO belts, one is the standard leather belt and the other is
an "approved" safety rope with the usual snaps hooks at the ends.
The leather belt, being stiff is easy to move upward with one hand, take
a step up or two, slide the belt up again, etc. etc. When climbing or
descending the rope remains free and the stiffer leather
belt provides support.  When I have to go around guy wires I hook
the rope around the tower either above or below the guy set,
depending on the direction of traverse, then disconnect the leather
belt, then reconnect it on the other side.

When working at the top of a tower, such as before antennas are
attached, I slip the rope inside the rungs of the tower...it won't
slip off the top like the leather belt could.

73,
Charlie, N0TT