[TowerTalk] vertical antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] vertical antennas
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:52:50 -0500
On 10/24/01 8:32 AM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@akorn.net wrote:

>RCA spent a fortune on studying this, and they concluded 50-60
>1/4 wl radials acted like a solid plate. The key is to not let the open
>spaces exceed about .025 wl between wires. That even works with
>a screen reflector antenna!

I don't mean to disagree with Tom, whom I have the highest respect for,
but the math doesn't quite work out.

If you have 1/4 wl radials, you create a circle or radius 1/4 wl, with a
perimeter of pi/2 wl. (eg 2 pi r )

Now, pi/2 wl divided by 50 is pi/100 -- which is 0.0314159..., and pi/2
wl divided by 60 is pi/120 -- which is 0.02618. Close, but not quite
0.025.

That would tend to indicate you can have ultimate spacing a bit larger
than 0.025 wavelength -- perhaps as much as 0.030.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----