[TowerTalk] vertical antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] vertical antennas
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 15:43:10 +0100
To me this appear only a formal controversy.
The current density with a quarterwave vertical and quarterwave radials a
quarterwave off the vertical base is infact quite limited. Where the radial
screen has to resemble a solid screen is where the current return path is
significative, therefore the 50/60 radials perfectly match with the
requirement of spaces that doesn't exceed  0.025 wl between wires.
In my opinion even less radials than 50/60 perfectly work for amateur
purposes with losses that aren't really significative.
We have to keep in mind that obtained an efficiency of 80/85 % the
improvement to the famous 112 radials (96% eff.) is anyway marginal beeing
less than one dB and the extra radials do nothing with the reflections at
many wl away.
Insured a good efficiency, the enviromental ground conditions (i.e. sea
water) and not the radials set the very low angle power density and often
determine the outstanding performances with DX traffic.

73,
Mauri I4JMY