[TowerTalk] Front to Back Measurements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Front to Back Measurements
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:38:18 -0500
Kim,

Your anecdotal report is something that all of us have experienced at one
time or another.

It's possible that it was a 50 dB F/B.

It's also possible that your S-Meter is not calibrated accurately.  I'm not
saying you can or should do something about it either.  S-Meters are very
interesting devices.  In the "old days" we used to call them Scotch
S-Meters.  Anybody remember that term from the 50s and 60s??  We had Bourbon
S-Meters, too.  Who wins the prize for being the first to tell me the
difference?  (I do know.)

Anyway, the way to tell whether you have a S-Meter issue/problem is to use a
calibrated signal source on the fundamental frequency, like a Motorola
network analyzer, and inject it into the RX at a known signal level
(including the attenuation of the cables between the source and the RX) and
measure the difference between S-9 and S-1 on your RX.

As you do this, create a chart of the dB difference between each S-Unit.
That way, in the future you'll know what each S-reading means.  Check the
calibration every 6 -12 months so you are reasonably sure it's stable.

Ok, who's the winner?

73,

Bill, N3RR