[TowerTalk] Front to Back Measurements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Front to Back Measurements
From: k6xx@juno.com (Bob Wolbert)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:53:29 -0800
Your rig's internal attenuator is generally quite accurate. Even using 5%
resistors, the maximum error is about a dB, and is typically much less.
This gives you accurate reference points with step size depending upon
the rig.

Another inexpensive technique is using an external step attenuator. I've
purchased a few HP step attenuators at the local flea markets for $10-$15
each that give me very accurate 10dB and 1dB reference points. Place them
in series with the antenna lead and dial up the attenuation so the STRONG
signal gives the same meter reading as the weak signal, and read the
F/rear from the attenuator setting. Maybe I got lucky; my step
attenuators actually work--no blown resistors, which I am told is a
common problem with flea market attenuators.

Now, all I need is the time (and inclination) to make such measurements.
Around here, the local terrain gives me a very strong pattern whether I
want it or not! (independent of antenna position).

73 de Bob, K6XX

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:38:18 -0500 "Bill Hider (N3RR)" <n3rr@erols.com>
writes:

> Kim,
>
> Your anecdotal report is something that all of us have experienced
> at one
> time or another.
>
> It's possible that it was a 50 dB F/B.
>
> It's also possible that your S-Meter is not calibrated accurately.
> I'm not
> saying you can or should do something about it either.  S-Meters are
> very
> interesting devices.  In the "old days" we used to call them Scotch
> S-Meters.  Anybody remember that term from the 50s and 60s??  We had
> Bourbon
> S-Meters, too.  Who wins the prize for being the first to tell me
> the
> difference?  (I do know.)
>
> Anyway, the way to tell whether you have a S-Meter issue/problem is
> to use a
> calibrated signal source on the fundamental frequency, like a
> Motorola
> network analyzer, and inject it into the RX at a known signal level
> (including the attenuation of the cables between the source and the
> RX) and
> measure the difference between S-9 and S-1 on your RX.
>
> As you do this, create a chart of the dB difference between each
> S-Unit.
> That way, in the future you'll know what each S-reading means.
> Check the
> calibration every 6 -12 months so you are reasonably sure it's
> stable.
>
> Ok, who's the winner?
>
> 73,
>
> Bill, N3RR