[TowerTalk] Front to Back Measurements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Front to Back Measurements
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:55:29 -0800
Hi Kim,

While 50 dB F/B is certainly possible with a 3 element
yagi, it would generally only hold up over a very narrow
frequency range and a very narrow range of elevation
angles (imagine a deep, but narrow null off the backside
of the antenna). Under real life propagation conditions,
the angle of arrival of a signal propagated over an ionspheric
path is not constant, so it would be unlikely that the signal
in question would "stay in the deep null" for any great
length of time. Given the dearth of accurate S-meters
found in commercial amateur equipment, I would put my
money on an inaccurate S-meter (my Ten-Tec rig
is horrible).

If you can, get yourself an accurate step attenuator and
then find yourself an S-9+10dB signal (preferably a local
ground wave signal that will be devoid of fading). Adjust
the attenuator until the S-9+10dB signal is S1 and read
off the attenuator setting in "dB". This will give you a much
better indication of your antennas F/B in the example you
cited.

You can also measure F/B back in real time using the
step attenuator. With minimum attenuation just turn the
antenna away from the desired station and note the
S-meter reading. Then turn the antenna 180 degrees
so that you are pointing towards the desired station
and then adjust the attenuator until you get the same
S-meter reading as in the reverse direction. This is
the F/B ratio for that particular angle of arrival and
operating frequency. This sort of measurement will
be subject to errors due to fading, so its best to
do a lot of measurements on different stations at
varying distances from your QTH. After you do
a number of measurements, a pattern will emerge
that will give you an indication of the antennas
typical F/B performance. Once you establish this
baseline, you can fool with element lengths from
the shack (very cool!) to see how they effect
F/B performance.

BTW, if you don't have a step attenuator, Pete,
N9SFX makes a nice step attenuator kit that is
perfect for this sort of application. He supplies a
machined aluminum housing with cavities for each
attenuator cell, all the resistors, and the toggle
switches.  The kits I bought were $57 each.
You can reach Pete at N9SFX@aol.com

Have fun - sounds like a neat antenna.