[TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:23:31 EST
In a message dated 1/2/02 11:37:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, wx3k@ptd.net
writes:

W8JI: >> Each of the unused slopers will act like a "counterpoise" for the
>  single antenna being fed.

K3BU: Dumbest statement of the year!<<

WX3K: >  Perhaps you would like to share why you think this is the "dumbest
statement of the year"

K3BU:
With half slopers (wire length = quarter wave electrical) disconnected and
unused, they act like "nothing" for RF at the frequency of operation. This
"trick" of disconnecting quarter wave radiator (wire) from the ground
connections is used to disable the vertical, detune it from the resonant
frequency = make it "invisible" to RF (at that frequency).
For wire like that to act as a "counterpoise" it has to be connected to the
antenna system or be near half wave electrical length to act as a parasitic
element and be positioned so it can direct the RF from the radiator in the
desired direction.

How are the unused slopers "counterpoising" the RF from connected sloper?

When W8JI "gospel" is questioned, there is usually twisted runabout answer or
dead silence.
If TT likes to be fed this stuff, it is fine with me, I just have a problem
swallowing some of the statements that are not founded in reality.

73 HNY  Yuri