[TowerTalk] Alum Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alum Masts
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:28:12 -0600
WHOA !   Let's not go overboard here.

Did you perform a stress analysis for the proposed system?

He wants to put a TH3 and a 17M dipole on a 7 ft mast.
Put the TH3 a few inches above and the 17M dipole on top.
NO PROBLEM.

Even if it bends, with that small top load, all he would need
to do is put up a gin pole, tie the rope to the bent mast
and hacksaw it off.  But I seriously doubt that will ever
happen with such a small load.  One of my 3L20's has
a 24 ft  2 inch OD 1/8 inch wall thickness 6061-T6
ALUMINUM Boom supporting the 20M parasistic elements
12 ft out with NO truss support.  It has NEVER bent.

Against K7LXC's sage advice, I have a 5L10 and 4L15
stacked 7 ft apart on a galvanized waterpipe.  It survived
the tornado that took out dozens of trees in my woods.

(I pretested the waterpipe by placing it on a couple of
supports with 7 ft sticking out and stood on the end
without it bending so I knew it could handle a 200 lb load.)

Tom  N4KG