[TowerTalk] Re:Pins vs bolts fastening tower sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:Pins vs bolts fastening tower sections
From: tao@skypoint.com (Tod - Minnesota)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:07:42 -0600
An addendum for the thought that Red mentioned:

"If the holes in the tower legs are corroded, it is recommended that they be
reamed to fit the fasteners to minimize relative movement of one leg on the
other. "

I did not observe that the diameter of the hole in the vertical tubes had
changed. It seemed as though the loss of metal was exclusively from the
bolts. Where the tubes had rested on the bolt the diameter of the bolt was
reduced. It was much as though one had carefully ground the bolt at two
points so that it had a smaller diameter at those points than along the rest
of the bolt.

Because of this I did not do anything special to change the hole diameters.
I did run a clean cloth through the holes to clear them of any residual gunk
from the aluminum-steel electrolytic cell. The rod size that I selected was
sufficiently snug in the hole that I used a plastic headed hammer to gently
push the pins through the holes. My recollection is that there was no play
in the junction when I was finished.

Tod, KØTO

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----