[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan & Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:36:11 -0800
Hi Sherman,

Gathering all of this very interesting crankup tower data is a "double edged
sword".  Yes, it would really help the prospective buyer to do a better and
safer job in selecting and putting up his tower.  This concept has been
discussed here before in the context of compiling a database of all sorts of
tower failures, in great detail, so new users could avoid the mistakes of
others.  Sounded like a wonderful idea to me, on the surface.

The downside to this is that this very same database, in the hands of any
"anti-tower" group such as a home owners association, city or county
planning commission, or just one neighbor who does not want you to have a
tower, can "prove" towers are inherently dangerous and fail all of the time.
The more complete the database, the better case the "anti-tower" groups can
make against ANY towers being allowed.

My suggestion is that if you gather this data, keep it a SECRET.  If you
publish it, I think hamdom will NEVER hear the end of it, unfortunately.
There just won't be any way to keep this data from causing us great harm . .
. probably a lot more harm than good.  I really wish this were not the case
. . . but we must face reality here . . .

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com