[Towertalk] M2 10-30LP8 log periodic Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] M2 10-30LP8 log periodic Yagi
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:38:03 -0500
At 07:23 AM 3/18/02 -0700, Bill Eisinger wrote:
>I have the M2 7&10-30 "Skip Log" which is the same antenna with a 40m
>element added.  I have it at 70' and been extremely pleased with its
>performance. As John says, it isn't the same as a large mono-bander but, it
>is a very competitive antenna. It is a big antenna and somewhat complicated
>to assemble however, the construction of the antenna is top notch.  Also,
>M2's service is second to none.

If you don't need continuous frequency coverage I think log periodics are a
profligate waste of aluminum.  As a working hypothesis, I've read that on
any given frequency a well-designed medium-boomlength LP has about the gain
and pattern of a typical 2-element yagi.

Weight and complexity are not trivial issues for installation and
maintenance, and when they are not accompanied by significant performance
improvements where we need them, then I think there are better choices.

Cost is also a consideration.  I was not able to find any on the web in a
quick search -- Array Solutions just says "call us," which doesn't suggest
they're pushing the price as a selling point.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org