[Towertalk] M2 10-30LP8 log periodic Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] M2 10-30LP8 log periodic Yagi
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:56:35 -0500

I don't have a model of the XR-5 but I do have models of the
Cushcraft ASL-2010 "Skylog" and the Force 12 C3E.  Both are
18 foot boom antennas making them the best apples to apples
comparison I can create (it would be very interesting to do
a head to head comparison on a good range).

Running the models in AO (quickest for me to check) the
differences by band are:

20 meters: about 1 dB more gain and about 3 dB F/B for the C3E
17 Meters: about 3 dB more gain and about 10 dB F/B for the LP
15 Meters: a toss up (< 2 dB F/B for the C3E)
12 Meters: about 2 dB more gain and about 10 dB F/B for the LP
10 Meters: about 1.5 dB more gain and about 3 dB for the C3E

Based on Force 12's claimed specifications for the XR-5, the
XR-5 and ASL-2010 should be a toss up on 17 and 12 meters.

The ASL-2010 has eight elements on the 18' boom vs. 10 for the
XR-5.  Models of nine or ten element log periodics on an 18'
boom show gains +/- <1 dB of the C3E and F/B within 3dB of the
C3E (and claimed XR-5 specs) depending on band.

Since the "selling price" (www.aesham.com) for the ASL-2010
is $220 less than the "introductory price" (www.force12inc.com)
for the XR-5, an 18' boom log periodic is a very competitive
choice for someone who would like to cover five bands with a
single antenna.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK