[Towertalk] shoes...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] shoes...
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:28:15 EST
litwins@badsector.com writes:

> Somebody mentioned that some types of shoes are not good for climbing.  What
>  are the good types?  I suspect the old pole climbers and tree climbers are
>  not good for towers.  The last time I climbed towers I used hard-soled
>  sneakers with large deep tread.  Good...bad??

    Since you're going to be putting your feet around and on steel pieces,
you need something sturdy that'll protect your feet from unfriendly
situations (climbing and working on rohn BX comes immediately to mind).

    The other necessity is to have a stiff sole because if you're working on
Rohn 25G or 45G you're going to be spending hours standing on pieces of 5/16"
rod - not the most comfortable standing surface. Some work boots have
fiberglass shanks for stiffness, they're not as good as a steel shank. When
you're at the store looking at them, take the boot and try to bend the sole
in half. If you can - it ain't stiff enough. I personally use mountain
climbing boots since they're designed to be used with crampons that need a
stiff platform.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs