[Towertalk] RF transparent support poles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RF transparent support poles
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:40:51 +0000
Hi everyone:

I'm toying with the idea of experimenting with a 4 corner horizontal loop (a
project after the next project). I'm on a city lot, 50' x 100' but I think I
could get a 200 to 225 foot loop up at 20 to 30 feet (my lot is not level)
maybe higher.  The feed will come down from the feed point along side my
house with ladder line to my basement shack window which I'd replace with
plexiglass.  I'll drill two holes in the center of the window & run the feed
through to a balanced transmatch which will sit right there at the window.
Only one problem so far:  I need 30' high rigid non-metalic supports,
preferably unobtrusive looking.  I was at home depot a few days ago and they
had these 4" diamater pvc sewer pipe sections but I figure I'd land on the
city eyesore list if I put up four 30 foot high white columns of plastic all
around my house.  There are a lot of people around here who are uptight
about this kind of thing.  I am interested in avoiding metal because I don't
want to detune or distort the patterns of my verticals.  Also, to get the
longest wire possible I'd like to put the poles close to my property lines
and that means they would have to be unguyed since any guy anchors would
have to be outside my property.  Ideally something black or green that I
could stick in the ground several feet to which I could attach an insulator
or pulley at the top and hold up thin stranded cu wire (but heavy enough for
1.5 kw--I don't believe in antennas with the word junior in their names) and
a little bending at the top.  Willing to paint.  Fiberglass?  Any
suggestions? Tnx & 73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com