[Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts [was "Mosley"]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts [was "Mosley"]
From: k1ir@designet.com (Jim Idelson)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:41:32 -0400
That Mosley story is truly exasperating. The experience of buying a very small
quantity of nuts and bolts from ANY manufacturer is often similar. It takes a
lot of time, the prices seem out-of-whack [Mosley is clearly leading in this
category], and you often pay more in S/H than the cost of the parts. And, when
you head over to the local hardware store, the prices are high and your
selection is limited. Even the big places like Home Depot and Loews have a
disappointing range of options. Quality is also a problem. When you buy a
stainless steel part from these guys, you are getting the lowest/cheapest grade
available.

But, there is hope! You CAN get great service and great hardware at reasonable
prices! Here are two options:
1.  Friends in our own Amateur Radio community are often the best resource. I
have had great experience with guys like these:
          Antronics of Oregon - http://www.reprise.com/antronics/antronics.asp
          Stan Griffiths, W7NI - w7ni@easystreet.com
          I know there are others, too, and my apologies for not remembering
them here.

2.  You might also be able to find a local supplier under the category of
"Fasteners - Industrial". In the Boston area we have a company called Albeco
Fastener and Supply Company - http://www.albecofast.com. My experience with
them is fantastic. You leave their place with a little plastic bag of super
high quality stainless steel hardware. The experience is best compared to
visiting the penny candy store. Prices are in the same ballpark. Once, after I
had completed a transaction for about $12 worth of hardware [two bags!], I
realized I needed a couple more parts. The guy went out back and grabbed the
pieces and handed them to me saying, "Don't worry about it". If they had a
tipping jar at the counter, I would have tossed in a five and still felt like I
got a bargain!

One additional thing to note. A lot of our antenna manufacturers make custom
U-bolts and other hardware. What a pain! In the past, if I found a better,
stronger, standard U-bolt that fit, but required me to drill out the holes a
bit, I would take that risk. I wouldn't do this on a new antenna, but we're
usually refurbishing some pretty old stuff, right? This is not what the
manufacturer would want, of course, but when the manufacturer makes life
difficult, there may be no other good choice.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir@designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir