[Towertalk] shoes...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] shoes...
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:14:10 -0400
a large amount of weight is supported by a very smal area

your typical obese ham standing on a tower rung

the net effect is for the point of load bearing (your sole) to be subjected
to this weight over that very small area

enter a steel shank that runs the full length of the sole at right angles
(roughly) to the tower rung

the obese towertalkians weight is now transfered over a much larger area and
the psi is much lower now that it is able to be spread around...

in the worst case a sneaker or deck shoe is worn - it has nothing to
redistribute the weight - result - birds foot after a session on the
tower...ouch

with the steel shank the soles of your feet are spared birdfoot

here on the other side of the pond, a lot of construction workers shoes have
a partial shank and are much better than sneakers and the like...the really
good shoes are manufacturered by high end outfits like one called Redwing,
and they get an Alpha-Power price for tehir product....

Cheers - off to meet my mobiling partner in the FQP

73,

Jim, K4OJ