[Towertalk] More on Lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More on Lightning protection
From: ww5l@gte.net (Tom Anderson)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 21:37:14 -0500
LEE ET. AL.:

Another thing to watch with lightning claims is the length of time your policy
allows for processing claims.   My claim rep. said he wanted a statement from
the licensed electrician who came out and inspected the house, wiring, etc. so I
asked, and asked and asked the electrician for one and ended up waiting just
over a year to get everything in.  Well, I waited a few days too long waiting
for the electrician to send me a statement, apparently buried in all the
whereases and wherefores was a provision that (even though I had 100 percent
full cost replacement coverage) was a proviso the claims people never mentioned
that after 1 year the insurance company (State Farm) could (and does) discount
the amount of your claim.  They discounted mine by about 1/3, even though I kept
arguing I was waiting on the statement they had requested from the electrician.
I even knew the electrician, who didn't by the way charge me for the inspection,
as I was his son's Eagle Scout advisor.

The phone company also had to replace the terminal block where the outside
wiring enters the house because it had been carboned by the strike.  I replaced
the coax and rotor cable and found hundreds of small holes every few inches in
the coax.  The strike also did a number on the rotor's insides, but Norm's Rotor
Service handled that fine.  I argued with the insurance company about saving
them money having it repaired for less than half of what a new one would cost,
but they also "discounted" the repairs  because I waited a little too long.

Also helpful if you see or smell anything like smoke call your local fire
department.  Even though it may be embarrassing to have three or four trucks
with flashing lights out front of your house and firefighters running around
inside (just watch those axes) and all the neighbors gawking for what might be a
fried radio or computer, I found out later (too late) that a copy of a report
from the FD would have worked instead of the electrician's statement.  The only
smoke I had was from the DX packet computer and 2 meter ICOM radio  the
lightning strike fried, but it filled the shack with enough smoke I had to open
all the doors and vent the smoke out.

The AEA Isopole 2 meter antenna and tribander were unhurt by the strike.

Tom, WW5L