[Towertalk] Dayton declining...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Dayton declining...
From: diale@mindspring.com (Ed Dial)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:35:23 -0600
I have to go with Tom on this one. There's a sweeping social change where
young (and old ones too) are looking more and more for instant
gratification with little or no effort. Amateur radio is a classic example
of this trend. Over the last twenty years, the path to ham radio has been
grated, paved, and lined with park benches and water fountains. Code has
all but been eliminated, and has been for one class. What is left is a
multiple guess exam. The Extra written exam has been radically simplified,
and each and every single question, verbatim, is published as it appears on
the test. Our good friend Gordon West even publishes strategies to avoid
any seriously technical engagement and attain the necessary points to pass.
Yet as much as it has been simplified to enter the hobby, there's still
waves of complaints that Ham Radio is "too hard", it's just a hobby, it's
not an engineering exercise, ham radio is a collection of elitists, trying
to keep out the riff-raff... you've heard them all, I'm sure.

In my own profession, I've noticed the same phenomena. I'm in the computer
networking field, and one of the certifications that has become popular is
the Cisco Certified Internet Expert (CCIE). This certification started out
as a 100 question written exam, followed by a two-day practical exam in a
lab which consisted of both written and oral components, as well as
hands-on. This certification couldn't even be attempted without the
requisite work experience. Due to the massive complaints Cisco received
over the complexity of the test, it has now been reduced to the written
component, followed by a one day hands-on lab which has been reduced to not
much more than a speed test. The experience requirement has been dropped.
The certification has been diminished considerably by the infiltration of
what is commonly referred to as "paper CCIE's", or those who have trained
for the test at boot camps for the exam and didn't even know what a network
was 12 weeks earlier. I've heard similar stories from other walks of life
where requirements have been watered down to make it easier to pass from
civil service to technical disciplines, and our culture is eating it up.
But then from a professional perspective, the more you have passing the
certification, the greater the supply of labor, which equals lower
demand/salaries. Great for business.

And then there's the Internet and computers. $699 for a computer at Best
Buys, $20 to your local ISP per month, and you're up and running. No
antennas to deal with, no complaining neighbors, no tests, and no real
rules and regulations. It's a perfect fit for today's teenager looking for
a hobby. And those who DO elect to apply themselves to learning something
about the technology can earn a decent living doing it, provided he/she
purchases the requisite certifications to pacify the industry.

Having said my thoughts on restructuring and the social condition, on to
the future....

The largest issue concerning amateur radio in my opinion is the lack of
elmers. Time is a problem for everyone, and those formal code & theory
training sessions sponsored by local clubs are few and far between now
days. There are very few trying to help these guys/gals learn the skills,
and most importantly for the 21st century version of ham radio, not
teaching operating procedures. Instead of leading by example, some (not
all) ignore new people and won't talk to them. It's not their fault that
they got on the air without having learned code, or that they are an Extra
class having learned five words per minute and passing a comparatively
simple exam. That's the ARRL's fault/credit....for good or bad. These
people passed the requirements that has been defined by the FCC/ARRL
necessary to become an amateur radio operator. The majority of new
candidates that come to Amateur Radio comes from the CB ranks. CB has
become our new "novice" class, or entry program. Most of these people are
good people, trying to escape the condition known as CB and looking for a
better radio experience. Although many complain about the effort to make
the jump, they have the interest in the hobby to do it. The future of
amateur radio ARE these folks, and it's up to us to help them make the
transition. I believe, with a few exceptions, these guys want to fit in and
learn the "etiquette" of ham radio. Perhaps we need to look at this
resource and find ways to usher these folks into the hobby as welcome and
productive users. And maybe with a helping hand guiding them through the
process, there would be less bitching about having to learn ohm's law. Maybe.

Some day I'll share my thoughts on the "death of Dayton" and how Ebay has
changed the face of hamfests.

I apologize for boring you guys with my rants. Party on.

Cynical Ed
WA4RYW / VK2IOS