[Towertalk] Water in Universal Base Stubs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Water in Universal Base Stubs
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:52:42 -0400
Getting out the existing water is the hardest part; there have been several
possibilities posted.  I would also push a small diameter (say, 1/4 -3/8") piece
of Tygon (or similar) tubing down to the bottom after removing as much water as
possible then drying it with compressed air.  After that, I filled mine with
"Thoropatch" - a two-part material (powder + a milky liquid).  This makes a
morter-like mixture that is usually used to patch cracks and spalls in concrete
(it's tough stuff!).  This may require a second topping to make a slightly domed
surface out of the tube.  Obviously, it is a real pain to fill these tubes with
the tower vertical.  I would also suggest thourghly cleaning the outside/exposed
steel parts and spraying them with one of the cold galvanizing paints (CRC, LPS
&
others make it).

73,

Tom - WA2BPE