[Towertalk] HF2V

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] HF2V
From: kb9cry@attbi.com (Phil - KB9CRY)
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 22:26:43 -0500
Joe, my HF2V helped me work 5BDXCC from my small city lot (35 x 125)
within 5 years.  It was mounted back next to the garage in the Victory
garden.  It was "guyed" with 40 lb. test fishing line so that it
wouldn't "whip" into the power lines in the alley!  I had about 30
radials of various lengths, the longest being about 100 ft.  My biggest
problem on 80M was receiving.  I used a coil loaded dipole to get some
horizontally polarized reception.  Also Mr. Heathkit (SB-220) helped a
lot.  I learned how to be a good operator.  Then three years ago moved
to 5 acres in unincorporated Will County.  Had room to put up some
beverages and EWEs along with the lone HF2V.  (And about 30 60Ft.+
radials)  Now I could rock and roll.  I could hear and they could hear
me.  Last fall the HF2V, along with three more became a 4 square on 80
(also works on 40M) with a Comtek box and three 12 ft. top loading wires
and I really get out.  Also, the 4 square (90% of the time) hears as
well as the 850 ft. beverages.  See the piks at the "DX Showcase"
section of www.nidxa.org.  Oh, each, as of now, has 30, 66 ft. radials.
 I think it works and should for you too.  Just invest in some kind of
receiving antenna (beverages if you have the room, 500 ft. min. or a
pennant or flag or K9AY loop type if you have a small lot).  Cu in the
pileups, 73  Phil  KB9CRY