[Towertalk] Amertitron RCS8V Remote antenna switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Amertitron RCS8V Remote antenna switch
From: k2hk@arrl.net (Howard Klein)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:45:24 +0000
Are there important differences between grounding and floating the  antenna
ports? I have heard various opinions as to which is preferable and would
like to pose that question.

Howard..K2HK

Users should be aware that this switch as it comes from the manufacturer
does
not GROUND unselected antennas.  Nor does it GROUND antenna ports when it is
powered down.  You must open the relay case and carry out a modification as
instructed in the operators manual.  The mod involves soldering a short
jumper
from the center pin of the UHF connectors to a pad on the circuit board.
This
pad is the mounting point for one terminal of the changeover relay for each
antenna port and provides a ground connection when the port is NOT selected
and
also when the power to the relay head is turned off.
I recently acquired one of these switches from an estate sale and noted that
the
operator had not carried out this mod.  He had been using the unit for a
number
of years with multiple coax runs  that were "floating".