[Towertalk] Trylon towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Trylon towers
From: kc2tn@comcast.net (KC2TN)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 23:15:28 -0400
I can attest to the corrosive effects on aluminum at coastal areas. I worked
for 30 years
in the phone industry. I placed many "cable closures" in these areas. When
inland we could
place very light aluminum closures where airtight seals were required in the
aerial plant.

At ALL coastal areas we were required to place a very heavy 45-50 lb
galvanized cast iron
closure for all airtight seals. These types of closures were normally used
for underground
purposes. Even after these types of closures were placed in the air, after
many years many
of them would rust anyway. Perhaps some were better galvanized then others.

All I know is they were a pain to put in place in the air by yourself!

I'm about 35 miles from the coast in NJ and don't notice any of the
corrosive effects on my
antennas.

Joe - KC2TN