[Towertalk] Trylon Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Trylon Towers
From: bjtatum@ev1.net (Byron Tatum)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 07:55:51 -0500
Hello Gang-
    While all of this flack is flying around concerning the Trylon Towers I
would like to throw in my opinion. I have a Trylon T-500-72 installed and a
T-600-64 on the ground.
    I feel I was mis-led by the dealer who discussed these towers with me.
He was quoting to me these impressive wind load ratings, but neglected to
tell me they were at 70 MPH and not 100 MPH, as most other towers are rated
at for wind load.
    I was told the tower was hot dipped after fabrication and that all of
the hardware was hot dipped galvanized, but neither was true. Only a small
portion of the hardware is hot dipped. I live near the gulf coast { 30 miles
from bay} and specifically asked about galvanizing.
    I guess the worst dis-appointment was imagining this super strong tower
{ as was told to me} and seeing the flimsey top section legs - I was
literally shocked by the thin metal in the top sections and rotor shelves.
    Anyway, I put up the T-500-72 but have reservations about its
capabilities. I hope I help someone else to avoid the pitfall that I fell
into. Thank you, Byron WA5THJ.