[Towertalk] Roof mount tower questions...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Roof mount tower questions...
From: w4zw@comcast.net (W4ZW)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:38:20 -0400
I've used roof top towers for several years and they work great.  I
recommend the 9' G-M tower.  It is very study and has great wind loading
capacity.  I use one here oceanfront with some pretty good winds off the
Gulf.  Lost the tower last year, but the tower itself was unscathed.
Ripped the bolts up right through the  roof deck studs.  In fact, took
about 12 SqFt of deck, tower and all.  I reinstalled it with better
crossbeams to distribute the wind loads, and used big hurricane clips to
hold the entire deck down.  I have a flat roof on the third floor of my
home. I do not recommend the G-M thrust bearing.  Mine rusted completely
in about 18 months.

You will find some sound vibration and drumming from the roof mounted
tower.  It can vary from a very low pitched drumming vibration to an
intermittent low stutter.  Not objectionable, but certainly heard in
during heavy winds.

YMMV,

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"