[Towertalk] Coax recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax recommendations
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:06:07 -0500
on 10/16/02 8:45 AM, Bill Ogden at ogden@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Thank you for the practical comments about coax choice.  Is LMR400 handled
> just like RG8 or RG213?  Same connectors?  Would it be a transparent
> change?  How sensitive is it to sealing the ends?  Burial?  RG213 seems
> very forgiving about handling and environment.

LMR400 falls in to the RG8 size classification and so uses the same
connectors.  No problem.  No issue with sealing.  It's a solid dielectric
unlike 9913.  It is suitable for direct burial.  No problem there.  The only
issue that has been raised is that of kinking the dielectric.  One guy on
the reflector is very worried about that and any kind of deformation.  I've
used a lot of it and never had problems.  As long as you don't go beyond the
bend radius of the cable and treat it carefully, it will work fine.

LMR400 also handles a lot more power than RG-8 and has a lot less loss than
RG-213.

It comes in 2 flavors - ultra flex and regular.  The ultraflex has a
stranded center conductor and is very flexible (also check out Cable Experts
CXP1318FX as a low cost alternative).  The regular has a solid center
conductor and is not as flexible.  It does have better loss characteristics.
And it's flexible enough to use with a rotor.  Oddly enough, I have the
solid stuff on the rotor and tower and the flexible stuff running through
the house to the shack!

73,

Jon
NA9D