[Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:29:16 -0500
At 12:20 PM 11/16/02 -0800, Michael Tope wrote:
>As I understand it, the reason that the quad was implemented at
>HCJB was to eliminate the coronal discharge that they were
>suffering on their 1/2 wave elements. Apparently this was a big
>problem at their high altitude (Andes Mountains) location.

Yes, I recall that, and that any extra gain was a serendipitous
benefit.  My point was to refute the notion that SWBC stations don't use
directional antennas.

I had a 20 meter quad from 1956-1959 (I was a kid then and didn't know
better).  I would not consider one again, simply because of the physical
disadvantages.  Yes, I'm sure they can be made to stay up and even look
decent, but in the meantime I will have spent my time on other things (like
this cockamamie reflector hi)

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower