[Towertalk] B&W - It just ain't the same

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] B&W - It just ain't the same
From: kq4by@rocketmail.com (Larry Keith)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:17:49 -0800 (PST)
>From the 11/87 B&W Catalog:

"BARKER & WILLIAMSON coaxial switches are made from the
finest materials: heavy duty sliver plated switch contacts,
ceramic switch decks, and rugged steel enclosures.  The
handle the legal amateur power with ease and low SWR. The
attractive CS series of switches in rectangular boxes is
designed for the HF bands from 1.8 to 30 MHz.  All
connectors are on one surface and the box may be wall
mounted by means of holes in the back, or rest on a
surface.  Cross-talk, measured at 30 Mhz is -45 dB between
adjacent outlets and -60 dB between alternate outlets.
Impedance is 50 to 75 ohms, VSWR less than 1.2 to 1, DC to
30 MHz. VSWR less than 1.5 to 1 to 150 MHz."

"Model CS-2-2 (formerly 594 - discontinued.  Double pole:
Two position switch.  May be used to interconnect two
radios and two and two antennas, or two radios and an
antenna and dummy load.  It my also by-pass a test item
like an SWR bridge.  Shipping Wgt:  1 lb."

Hope that helps!

Note: I would consider investing in an effort to buy B&W.
Any one down if FL that wants to start the negotiations?

73,

Larry,
KQ4BY

--- Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:
> I just had an unpleasant experience on the phone with
> B&W.  I was looking
> for the isolation spec on a B&W 594 coax transfer switch.
>  Once the guy
> realized I didn't want one of their high-priced current
> antenna models, he
> couldn't have been less interested.   I wouldn't even
> have minded the
> outcome, if the guy had been a little more sympathetic,
> but the bottom line
> was "go away."
>
> Anyone out there got a manual for one of these switches,
> or any idea where
> I might find one?  My thought is to use it to swap either
> of my two radios
> to one of two sets of antennas.  However, one station
> runs 100 watts, the
> other 1KW, and I'm leery of there being too much coupling
> between the two
> radios.  Unfortunately, I don't have the test equipment
> to determine it
> experimentally.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Sometimes a tower is just a tower