[Towertalk] Pouring base of tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Pouring base of tower
From: clewis@knology.net (Chuck Lewis)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:53:33 -0600
Wait a minute!!!
This application is NOT like a footing! I hope someone with some credentials
will chime in here and keep us from doing some dumb stuff! Footings do not
have to withstand overturning moments, and your freestanding tower base
does. The tower base does more than simply support the weight of the tower,
and the tower is not held vertical simply because of the weight of the base.
When the wind tries to tip the tower, the small 'pier' is pulled up and away
from the large 'pier' on the windward side. The large 'pier' is hooked under
several feet of (hopefully) undisturbed soil, and the two chunks of concrete
are being pulled apart. Now there might indeed be an epoxy or similar
compound or a rebar configuration which will give the two pours the tensile
strength of a single pour, but you need to ask the question relative to a
tower base, NOT a foundation/footing, and the answer needs to come from the
right source. Your concrete contractor no doubt knows a great deal about
foundations and footings, but I'll bet he knows diddley-squat about TOWER
BASES. Neither do I, for that matter, but let's not make the mistake of
thinking that if it looks just like a foundation/footing it can be treated
as a foundation/footing. These are two distinct applications despite the
fact that they LOOK identical. Tower bases have a unique set of requirements
which include a combination of compressive, tensile and shear loads, but a
foundation/footing is mostly compressive. Didn't the manufacturer specify a
SINGLE pour? Why?

Please check with someone who knows about TOWER BASES!

Chuck, N4NM
(hoping someone who knows about TOWER BASES will tell me I'm full of cr*p)