[Towertalk] Pouring base of tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Pouring base of tower
From: jfarr62@comcast.net (John D. Farr)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:59:36 -0600
Chuck:

I'm no expert either but have had a course or two on concrete and foundation
design. Sorry, I can't say you are full of c**p. Like you, I find several
troubling things about this thread. Most of it is where folks go to get
info.

I've been flamed on this news group before for saying this, but the design
of a steel reinforced  concrete structure is not trivial. It can be done by
the mortal man however. The place to go to get the design requirements is
the code -- the American Concrete Institute's "Building Code Requirements
for Structural Concrete", commonly called the "ACI". It takes quite a bit of
work to understand this document. Although I've always hated the "Prime
Directive" mentality, it is best to stick to the tower manufacturer's specs
unless you willing to do this work or hire someone who has.

The advice from the industrial concrete contractor is particularly bad
advice. The  industrial concrete contractor is the man that implements the
specifications laid out by the engineer. He is not a designer. He is correct
in saying that epoxy coated rebar is used when corrosion is a problem but
one can't just make the substitution into an existing design without the
analysis! Epoxy coated bar requires a much longer development length (by a
factor of 1.5!) than deformed steel rebar. The development length is the
amount of bar that needs to be imbedded in concrete to prevent pull-out.
This can be quite significant, particularly at the dowels that connect the
slab to the column. As you pointed out, the tension at this point will be
tremendous. Pull-out would not be a good thing here.

John
KC4ZXX

.