[Towertalk] Pouring base of tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Pouring base of tower
From: kr7x@attbi.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 10:37:33 -0800
Guy:

You are correct. It is very common to have multiple pours at different
times. The specs are to clean the surface of the existing pour apply a
concrete bonding agent ( either epoxy base or cement based) just prior
to the new pour. This assumes that the joint is designed with the
reinforcing to be continuous through the joint location.

Cold joints in continuous pours are different. If it will be a couple of
hours prior to the next pour then cleaning and bonding agent application
should be undertaken, if it is just the time between trucks then not a
problem just make sure the joint area is thoroughly vibrated. Again this
assumes that the reinforcing is continuous and a complete unit.

It is quite common to pour pier and mat foundations in two pours. The
base mat is poured and the pier later with the pier bars sticking out of
the base mat. In the old days the joint was treated prior to the second
pour with "neat cement mix", i.e., cement and water paste and the second
pour begun. These days there are bonding agents used that do a better
job.

73
Hank Lonberg, S.E.,P.E. / KR7X
Lonberg Design Group