[Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:51:02 -0600
on 12/12/02 10:10 PM, Jason Hissong at jhisson1@columbus.rr.com wrote:

> Tower progress continues... thought the comments from the engineer was
> interesting.
>
> In my packet of information to submit for my building permit, I drew up some
> plans showing the grounding I plan to do.  The engineer looked at it and
> said it was way overkill that the code only requires one ground rod.
> (almost sounded like he was thinking I was wasting my money)  I thought that
> was pretty amazing.

Hence my comments that just following "code" is not always best.  My niece's
husband is a civil engineer.  When he saw the way we were building my deck
this summer he said it was overkill.  I wouldn't go on a deck built the way
the "expert" suggested it.

Yes, in reality, code is one ground rod and while I believe it is in the
NEMA standards to have all grounds connected, I don't know if it is in all
the electrical codes of villages.  A local guy here who had his tower
inspected back when they inspected ham towers in our village said his
inspector said basically the same thing about the grounds.

The civil engineer probably knows didly-squat about lightning and RF.

> Also, I am getting some lucky breaks.  In order for me to get the permit, I
> had to get a state certified engineer to look it over and place a certified
> seal on it.  I sharpened my pencil and drafted (I have never drafted before)
> the plans on the installation of the tower.  Scaled and everything!  The
> first engineering firm stated that it would cost 400.00 for them to certify
> it.  However, they recommended another engineer.  He looked the plan over,
> stamped it, and asked for $75.00.  I asked him if he had concerns about the
> installation and he said that if my roof could not hold this thing up, I
> have more problems to worry about than the tower.  Also, he was more
> concerned about leaking.

Good for you.  Glad it's working out!

In terms of leakage:  Use a lot of roof tar.  Put it everywhere.  When you
drill your holes, squirt it in your holes, around your bolts, under the
tower feet, around the tower feet, etc.  My view is that you can't have too
much!  It's cheap and good insurance.  And it's easy to apply with a caulk
gun.  Messy, yes.

73,

Jon
NA9D