[Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lighting Protection and Roof Towers
From: faunt@panix.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:53:51 -0500 (EST)
Back to Glen Martin rooftop towers:
I have the 17.5 foot unit on my roof, and it seems to be pretty good,
if scary (1).  I have 2x4' rafters, but partnered several with 2x6's
(probably should have used 2'x8's), and then put in braces to a
load-bearing wall.

If I were to do this again, I'd consider puting one of the F12 12
foot crankups through the roof, based on that load-bearing wall.  Then
the rafters would function as braces in compression.

Or, I would modify the top of GM the tower by replacing the top
horizontal braces (which are 1/2" tubing), with angle aluminum to
provide a third bearing mounting location, half-way between the two
provided.  I'd put a MC-10 or equivalent mast clamp there, so that I
could lock the mast in place for rotator maintainance.  My Ham-M
rotator (and I suspect most other units) must be installed by going up
from inside the tower.  Another possibility would be to put a bearing
at the existing lower location, and add a rotator platform below that.

73, doug

(1) it shakes a bit when I'm up, even with my weight on the lashed-on
    ladder, and if it falls, I'll fall the 20' to the roof, and
    if not attached, then will roll down the roof and off to a further
    25' drop to the ground.  If the thing collapsed at the bottom,
    it's not impossible that I'd get dropped over the edge of the roof
    directly.  So, I climb with a tether to the roof, and another to
    the tower below the rotator, as well as my regular lanyard.