[Towertalk] side mounting large beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] side mounting large beam
From: KI7WX@aol.com (KI7WX@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:12:25 -0500
> I am thinking about mounting a Force12 C-36XR on the
> side of my Rohn 55G tower, at about 55 feet.

> I plan on using an W9IIX SO-3 or SO-3L mount.

A pic of the W9IIX sidemount can be viwed at:

http://www.w9iix.com/ii00025.htm

My $0.02 - There are better approaches. This W9IIX mount appears to be better
suited to holding a small vertical antenna (like a 2M or 70cm vert) a
significant distance away from a tower leg. I personally wouldn't use this type
of mount to hang a C36-XR, or any other HF yagi antenna.

Rather I'd take the fairly standard approach of using a couple pieces of 2"
angle across two legs of the tower with a 2" piece of pipe on the outboard end.
The yagi's boom to mast plate attaches to the pipe and you are done.

Since a picture is worth a lot of words, take a look at the K7PN fabricated
side mount of this type at:

http://www.reprise.com/antronics/custom_fixed_sidemount.asp

Most guys probably fab their own fixed mounts since the component parts are
easily available at most hardware stores. If you don't want to roll your own,
then K7PN's Fixed Sidemount kit is a very FB way to go. I've used some of
Paul's tower parts and all have been perfect.

Also, before you get the antenna up in the air check to make sure there is
enough open space at the mounting point of a C36-XR to allow for sidemounting.
Probably will be fine, but some of the newer tribanders don't have a lot of
open space which makes suitability for side mounting something to consider.

Best luck,

Mark
KI7WX/6