[Towertalk] Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Double protection - climbing
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:09:09 -0800
Dick,

Back when I was 20 or so I wanted to string a dipole from the top of the
wooden telephone pole that was on the other side of the lane behind the
house.  I had a job with the local phone co. so I borrowed a set of
climbing irons and belt from one of the linemen.  So, got the belt on,
got the irons on, belt is passed around the pole, first gaff (I think
that's what the spike on the climbing iron is called) is set into the
pole and here I go.  Flip the belt up the pole, pull it tight with both
hands, haul myself up a little and set the other gaff somewhat higher
than the first.  Hey, I'm off the ground.  Flip the belt up again and
repeat the process.  Well, I'm doing alright until I get up about 10 -
15 ft or so and look down.  I discover I don't like heights and grab the
pole with both hands.  Well, you're supposed to be leaning back so the
gaffs stick securely into the wood.  I'm not leaning back so the gaffs
come out of the wood and I start sliding down the pole.  The friction
between the belt and the pole is such that the belt stayed where it was.
 As I slid down with my feet flailing in mid-air the belt tightened up
and pulled me right into the pole with some force, as measured by the
pain in my nose.  At this point, the belt dropped down the pole,
releasing me to slide down the pole another few feet.  This time I moved
my head to one side so my nose would miss the pole as the belt tightened
up again.  In this way, I made a "controlled descent" to the ground,
unhooked the belt and scurried into the house, hoping that no neighbours
had witnessed the proceedings.  I spent the rest of the day picking
slivers of wood out of my face and body.

Does this answer your question?

(OK Steve, you can stop laughing now)

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO